Top 10 best-selling manga by series in japan are,
01) One Piece (32,343,809 copies!!!)
02) Naruto (7,409,068 copies)
03) Kimi ni Todoke (6,572,813 copies)
04) Fairy Tail (5,739,526 copies)
05) Bleach (5,204,193 copies)
06) Fullmetal Alchemist (5,165,052 copies)
07) Gintama (3,978,439 copies)
08) Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (3,479,219 copies)
09) Nurarihyon no Mago (3,269,379 copies)
10) Nodame Cantabile (3,246,355 copies)
aside from doubling the figures from last year, One Piece dominates once again. which is totally amazing because from what i understand, in Japan, it's more common for most to read only the JUMP magazines and not buy the tankoubon unless they really want to collect the series.
that's how many people thinks One Piece is worth collecting!
Bleach has been upstaged by Kimi ni Todoke and Fairy Tail. totally predictable since the whole Aizen arc was uber draggy and boring. thank goodness it finally ended! the new arc just started, so it's up to Ichigo "recovering" his shinigami powers to help pull the statistics up for next year.
Nodame is also in Top 10 series. good sales is most likely due to the two movies released this year.
probably why Kimi ni Todoke is doing well too. besides the live-action movie released in September, there was also the anime that ended in late March. i'm so looking forward to season 2 in Winter 2010!